View Our Practice Areas

Wrongful Death

The sudden loss of a loved one can be devastating to family and friends. Besides grieving over their loss, a family may suddenly have to deal with bills and other expenses, loss of the loved one's wages, and a number of other financial and emotional issues.

California law allows for causes of actions by certain individuals when someone dies due to the "wrongful act or neglect" of another. As in personal injury cases, negligence must be shown to hold another party liable for a fatal accident.

Who Is Entitled To Relief In A Wrongful Death Action?

While individuals are entitled to recover damages for their loss, only specific individuals are allowed to recover in these actions. This usually includes the deceased person's spouse, children or children's heirs, or domestic partner.

The parent of a child may be entitled to compensation if they were in some way dependent upon this child for assistance. This could include emotional support or future financial assistance. Proving financial dependence often involves complicated questions of fact and can vary from case to case.

In California, these cases are complicated in that all potential claimants must be included in the wrongful death lawsuit. While no one can force an individual to be a plaintiff in such a lawsuit, there are other ways of adding these people to the court filings so that the lawsuit can go forward. However, as there will only be one chance to bring such a claim, it is important that all procedures are correctly followed.

The attorneys at the Law Offices of Steven M. Hanna, P.C., know how to handle proof issues that arise in wrongful death actions and can make certain all procedural aspects are complied with when a complaint is filed in court. They have been trying these cases in Orange County and other Southern California courts since the early 1990s.

Contact Our Experienced Wrongful Death Lawyers

Understanding and establishing the exact compensation that should be paid in a wrongful death lawsuit can be difficult. Please contact our Fullerton law firm to speak to Steven Hanna and John Upton about your personal situation by calling 714-872-9165. We will not charge any fee unless we recover compensation for you.